Potatoes are susceptible to slug attack later in the season than most other plants. This means that you can delay applying Nemaslug till 6-7 weeks before harvest, when the tubers are most likely to be eaten by slugs.
Slugs will feast on your fruit and vegetable crop, including your:
- Brussel Sprouts
- Slugs will also attack the leafy parts of plants, especially hardy ornamentals like Hostas
Some things you might not know about slugs:
- Slugs are hermaphrodite (have both male and female sex organs).
- Each Grey Field Slug can have up to 90,000 grandchildren.
- Slugs have approximately 25,000 teeth.
- Slugs consume around twice their own body weight each day. If you consider that an average slug weighs 0.1 oz, it will consume an amazing 28oz of plant material in a growing season.
- Young slugs tend to stay underground, feeding on humus (decaying organic matter). This creates an unseen menace, developing out of sight and just waiting for your young seedlings to be planted.
Slimy slug facts...
- Each slug lays about 300 eggs in batches of up to 50 in crevices in the soil.
- Slug eggs are slightly oval in shape, white in colour and measure 2-3 mm in diameter.
- They hatch in 3 weeks in the spring, whilst eggs laid in the autumn can over-winter before hatching.
- Slugs breed all year round. There are two overlapping generations usually with peaks of egg laying in March-April and September-October.
- In northern Europe the life cycle takes 12-15 months.
- Britain is the slug capital of the world.
- Our moist climate, without the extremes of hot or cold, is ideal for them.
- Each cubic metre of soil contains on average up to 200 slugs.
Nemaslug Slug Killer is the simple organic solution for slug control in your garden that is safe for children, pets and wildlife. A regular regime of using Nemaslug every six weeks is the best way to keep slugs at bay throughout the growing season.
You can view the full range of Nematodes at Nematodes Direct where we offer both single packs of Nemaslug as well as Nemaslug programmes to keep slugs under control for the whole gardening season.